Therapeutic Massage Therapy is a great way to improve your quality of life. It relieves stress, can be both stimulating or soothing, and helps to create inner balance and harmony.
About Therapeutic Massage
Therapeutic Massage Therapy is defined as the mobilisation of soft tissue (such as muscle, fascia and body fluids) to restore normal systemic and biomechanical/functional use. It can be used to assist in the treatment of most musculo-skeletal and associated problems, and regular Therapeutic Massage Therapy results in improved circulatory, lymphatic and neurological functioning.
If you need help determining the best massage for you, José will be happy to carry out a free consultation do discuss the options.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I wear?
Wear comfortable clothing that’s easy to roll up or remove.
What will happen?
For those who have not yet enjoyed the benefits of a Therapeutic Massage; this is what usually happens in a therapeutic massage session:
The treatment is done in the privacy of a therapist’s rooms. The initial and confidential consultation with the patient lasts about 1 hours. The first 10 mins is used to take a detailed medical history and to determine whether therapeutic massage is indicated for the patient. The patient/therapist relationship remains confidential and the therapist explains his or her code of ethics and scope of practice. The patient is also asked to sign an indemnity form for both the patient and therapist’s protection.
After that, the patient undresses in the privacy of the treatment room and then lies down on the massage table. Towels are provided with which to cover one. Every care is taken to protect the dignity of the patient and at no time should one feel ‘invaded.’ High quality natural oils are used and the work is rhythmical, gentle yet firm – the idea is not to cause pain that would nullify the benefits of the massage. The therapist works methodically over the entire body, ensure at all times that the patient is comfortable.
After the treatment the patient is encouraged to drink plenty of water since there is a detoxifying effect from a therapeutic massage session. It always takes more than one session to see real improvements in specific areas of the body, however even one therapeutic massage can start to have a profound effect on the patient’s physical and mental well-being.
Is massage for me?
The benefits of Therapeutic Massage Therapy are profound and are becoming even more attractive as the world around us becomes more stressed, aggressive and anxiety ridden. Many companies in UK are beginning to adopt Therapeutic Massage Therapy in their own organisations and are actively encouraging their employees to have ongoing treatments.
Therapeutic Massage Therapy could be a relevant choice of health care in the following areas:
- Health maintenance and/or health promotion: Promotes general tissue health and encourages lifestyle and general health awareness
- Stress management: Helps relieve associated muscular tension and encourages general relaxation
- Post-operative care: Helps reduce recovery period and speeds up elimination of anaesthetic, as well as reducing pain and stiffness associated with bed-rest
- Emotional and/or psychological disorders: Releases endorphins that help to uplift and reduce depression
- Terminal illness: Helps reduce pain and discomfort associated with long term bed-rest as well as providing support and reducing the effects of emotional stress for the patient as well as the family
- Chronic pain: Helps break the “pain spasm” cycle whilst reducing associated muscle tightness
- Care of the disabled: Provides emotional support as well as assisting in the maintenance of general tissue health
- Pre and/or post-event sports’ participation: Improves performance and recovery and reduces the likelihood of serious injury